Friday, January 21, 2011

Hard Work or Effort?

“If you work hard,” my Daddy said...well, I can't really remember what went on the end of the sentence, except maybe it had to do with glorifying God. But I do remember the 'work hard' part. In word and action, I was schooled in the art of working hard. But all I remember as a result of that schooling is disheartened exhaustion.



And then there is effort. I seem to remember the phrase, “give it your best effort.” And the picture that remains around that saying is one of excitement and joy sometimes, but satisfaction almost always.



Hard work and effort are two different things. Hard work is initiated by the subconscious mind, mired in a pardigm that isn't very effective and executed by the body, whether or not adequate respite from the prior exhausting task is complete.



Effort is the activity of the creative conscious mind, a focus on the desire or goal that has given inspiration. A holding of that goal securely, protecting it from diluting influence. It is choosing, and choosing firmly and fully, sometimes over and over again. It may not seem easy, but it is not hard in the way of 'hard work.'



I used to be proud that nobody could work harder than I. Now, as I turn my attention to the effort of my mind, which gives birth to positive emotion and inspired action, I believe that my pride was misplaced.

No comments:

Post a Comment