Thursday, January 14, 2010

Be Careful with what You Say...


I planned today's work well. I prepared carefully. I listed and gathered all the necessary tools. I knew well what I was doing; I have done it plenty of times before. What could go wrong?


A simple slip of the tongue redirected my day, and I know better than that, too.



The work was repairing a broken window pane. Not rocket science. Just requires a bit of care. So, I went to the hardware store to purchase the glass, having been there yesterday to price it and insure that the glass was in stock.


I frequent the store, so I knew and was known by the clerk. It was a friendly transaction. As he selected the glass I needed and prepared to cut it he commented that it was the last piece he had in that size in double strength glass...better do it right!


Good old congenial me praised him when all went well and the glass was cut. This is when I made my mistake. I felt compelled to make a funny comment and keep the conversation going, so I added, “I just have to make sure I don't break it between now and when the window is fixed.”


Uh-oh!


So here's how the day went from there: I went to the client's house, removed the broken pane, cleaned up the sash, disposed of the broken glass and set the new pane in place. Piece of cake!


Then I proceeded to break the new expertly cut glass...for no reason at all, except for the slip of a tool in my hand.


Why did I even think about breaking the glass? Why did I not steer my thought away from that scenario? Why in the world did I give voice to what I clearly did not want?


I clearly allowed my day that was going so well to be derailed.


I did, however, receive a valuable lesson in all of this, so thank you, Big U. The lesson? To choose my thoughts, and to speak only that which I desire. (even when I am trying to be funny)



No comments:

Post a Comment