Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Sidetracked: the Now Thought



It's so easy for me to get sidetracked. I start a project...it turns in 2 projects, then 4, then 6, perhaps more. But perhaps the most consequential sidetracking I subject myself to is that of thought. That's where it all begins.


I begin with a thought, pure and true, and within seconds my attention is diverted, usually by something less important, I follow that for an equally short span and find myself distracted again.


Call it what you like...scatterbrain, monkey mind, incessant mind chatter...it has the effect of taking me completely away from the thought I began with, the important one/ the main one.


Like a train with a clear destination and schedule, I embark on the main track, the through route, only to find myself shunted off to a siding for a period of indeterminate length. And the journey goes to hell.


I'm working on this with zeal, for I am tired of interrupted journeys. So I've focused myself on being deliberate with my thought, stretching my ability to hold a thought, and to decline temptations to jump ship (or should I say rail) and consort with intruders.


If you will, I'm parking the intrusive thoughts on the siding, rather than the important one...the now thought. I can always get back to them when my now journey is complete.


I've built quite a maze of sidetracks, but I'm not phased by them. Actually, I'm happier than ever before.



No comments:

Post a Comment